Oct 14, 2008

A Six Year Old's Battle


Written by M. Mendonca

I was six years old, and it was a true battle. A steadfast wind swept over the ocean and ordered an army of waves to storm the beach as if it was Normandy in 1944. The waves crashed and receded; water lurked ever more closely to the castle walls. I had spent the entire afternoon skillfully constructing my masterpiece out of sand, just as Brunelleschi had spent years constructing his Florentine dome, and I refused to acknowledge the fact that the ocean could deliver a sweeping and fatal blow in an instant. There was a large outer wall with towers erected at each corner, a neat bridge made of palms which connected the barbican to the bailey, and a deep that stood majestically at the castle’s center. Surely, this beach had never seen a finer structure.

With futile efforts, I tried to save my castle from the wrath of the sea and began to quickly pile sand into a makeshift wall in an attempt to divert the water. However, each time I reached down to scoop another bucketful of sand onto the wall, the ocean crashed down and dissolved it in an instant. Eventually, the relentless waters reached the castle walls and began to undo the tedious work I had done. Within moments, my castle was gone without a trace, and all that was left was a smooth patch of sand where it once stood.

I felt terrible; all of my hard work was ruined. I looked out onto the ocean as the waves crashed upon the shore and the water wrapped around my feet as if it were mocking my pitiful act of defiance. Rather than giving up and accepting defeat, I resolved to try something new and innovative. I picked up my plastic shovel and began scooping large amounts of dripping wet sand into my plastic bucket. With the bucket full of sand, I walked across the span of the beach to the edge of the dunes and emptied it into a pile. Back and forth, I repeated the tedious work for what seemed like an eternity.

Eventually I had enough sand, and I started to craft a new castle with the same precision I used with the first one. A few more hours went by and a new castle lay in front of me, more majestic and gallant that the first with two towering keeps instead of one. After completing my architectural triumph, I looked at my creation with pride and then over at the treacherous ocean that was sending more waves crashing against the shore. Though the mighty ocean tried, it could not reach my castle walls as I had strategically placed an entire beach between us.

As my family left the beach that day, I looked back at my castle still standing safely distanced from the water’s reach. It was then I realized what determination and persistence could yield. To this day, whenever I feel frustrated and beaten, I remember the day when a headstrong six-year-old conquered the ocean, and thinking of that, nothing seems impossible.

=============================================================
Scriptures That Come to Mind
After Reading This Inspirational Essay...


Romans 2:7
To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

Psalm 37:23-24
If the LORD delights in a man's way,
he makes his steps firm;
though he stumble, he will not fall,
for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

Matthew 17:20
"... I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

1 Comment:

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

This was great story of determination!! I love it! Sounds like it would be u..