Jun 25, 2009

Take A Step Back

I packed her bag and put her lunch together at night. My alarm clock was set for 6am and the plan was to leave the house by 7am. All was in place for the morning. Tomorrow would be my daughter’s 1st day of summer camp.

At 5:40am, she came into my room bright eyed & bushy-tailed, asking me to help her get ready for camp. I told her she was a little ahead of herself and sent her back to bed… in which she climbed into mine instead (lol). Needless to say, I don’t think she actually slept as I did. I believe she lay in bed with her eyes on the clock, waiting for the 1st sound of my alarm. She was so excited to start summer camp! She saw the camp’s activity calendar & saw all the wonderful things they have planned for the kids. Swimming, field trips, and activities of all sorts… she couldn’t wait!

Before getting upset at being woken up early, I took a (mental) step back and smiled at her excitement. I took joy in her smile. I savored the moment.

With that joy; with that plethora of wondrous emotion, it made me think about how our Father sees us, how He takes joy in us.

There are many times, as parents, that we must take a step back to let our child find their own path… take that first step… ride the bike without training wheels for the first time… or even see them fall and hope they have the courage and will to get back up. I believe God sees us in the same light.

He’s given us instruction. He’s informed us of how He wants us to live our lives. And He takes a step back. He’s always within arm’s reach but there’s enough space to allow us to make the decision… shall we stumble and falter to the world’s ways or shall we rise above the challenges of the flesh and glorify our Lord in every aspect of our lives?

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Read God’s Word. Understand it.
Live it. Put it into action in every aspect of your life.


1 Peter 2:1-2 tells us to "Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,"

Romans 12:15-21 reads "Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in the mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. "But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 reminds us to "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

With the guidance and love our Heavenly Father has provided, we should be able to make right decisions and flourish not only on Earth but beyond our years of life. In return, He will smile upon us as a proud parent smiles at their child’s accomplishment.

John 14:21
"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

0 Comments: